Fathers Matter - Coffs Harbour
About this event
Father-child bonding and team parenting.
An evening with Associate Professor Richard Fletcher.
Based on 30 years of research and work with fathers A/Professor Richard Fletcher will address the issues of father-child bonding and team parenting.
Some starting questions are:
- Does bonding matter and is there only one kind of bonding or does it come in different varieties?
- Are there compulsory activities, such as cuddling or kissing your baby? Does taking him with you to the footy or watching hours of dance practice count?
- We are all supposed to be team players, even at home. But how does that work when you have different skills and only one of you can breastfeed?
- All dads want to support their wives/partners but what does that look like exactly? How do you know that you are using the right type of support?
A/Prof Fletcher uses video, anecdotes and bite-sized research summaries to explain why and how fathers matter.
About Associate Professor Richard Fletcher
As an apprentice plumber Richard attended night school to gain entry to Sydney University to study science and he taught science in NSW and Kenya schools. Returning to work in health promotion he pioneered the development of Men’s Health and Boys’ Health areas of study. His PhD research into father-infant attachment has led him to investigate fathers’ role in families across topics such as ‘rough and tumble play’, paternal depression and co parenting. As Associate Professor in the Family Action Centre at the University of Newcastle his postgraduate teaching includes working with fathers in vulnerable families and father-infant attachment. Richard’s book “The Dad Factor: How the Father-Baby Bond Helps a Child for Life” has been translated into 5 languages. He is editor of the Fatherhood Research Bulletin.
Booking / RSVP closes Friday 21st February.
Enquiries - Lynne Jackson on 02 6691 1912 or 0456956673 or email TFCC-CoffsHarbour@health.nsw.gov.au
Date and location
25th February 2020
7.00pm - 8:30pm
- Coffs Harbour Community Village, 22 Earl St, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450, Meeting Room 1, (directly behind Coles Supermarket in Harbour Drive)
- : No Charge
Booking window closes on 21st February 2020, 9:02 AM